First of all, I want to start out by saying that I LOVE Halloween. Despite Christmas being my favorite season, and yes, Christmas is a season ;), Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I love candy and all of the sweet and fun desserts that come along with Halloween parties and festivals. I also love going to haunted houses and watching scary movies. Recently, my husband and I just finished the second season of Stranger Things and holy cow! I just do not know what to do with myself now that it is over. Luckily, we started listening to the Lore podcast on Itunes to suffice.
But I think my favorite part of Halloween is dressing up. You can literally be anything you want to be for a day, or if you’re anything like me, you love finding ways to dress up throughout the month of October! I think this is why my favorite part of High School was during Homecoming week and Senior week because you get to dress up as goofy as you want, and the more creative you are, the more awesome your costume/outfit looks! I love DIY projects and what better way to DIY than for Halloween?!
This year, I decided to go as a mermaid/siren. I think out of all of the DIY costumes I have done over the years, this one was the most makeshift and extraneous costume of all. Despite popular belief, Mermaids do not have two feet just as I do not have a fishtail so this costume had to have innovated ways to make sure I could still properly move around. Not to mention, heavy tiaras are hard enough to carry on your head, especially when it gets caught in spider webbing. Though next year I may create a simpler outfit to move around in, I am really proud of this year’s costume, thanks to the help of my mom and husband for helping assemble the million different pieces.
Below, I will show you different pictures of the final product, as well as adding details of how you can achieve this same look.
You Will Need:
- 1 corset (I used white, though depending on the complexity of the costumer, any color works!)
- 1 blue maxi skirt (Again, I used a light blue, though seafoam green or lavender would work well too)
- Assorted seashells, starfish, marbles, pearls/mardi gras beads. (Hobby Lobby. Dollar Tree. Party City)
- Metal hangers for the crown and to hold the fishtail in place
- Sewing kit to cinch skirt around the knees
- Scotch tape
- Lots and lots of hot glue
- Face paint/Makeup for face and body
- Silver spray paint
- Colorful eyelashes
- Bold lipstick
- Lots and lots of glitter and sequins!